Re: [TowerTalk] 18AVT DC short?

To: n4zr@contesting.com,TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 18AVT DC short?
From: <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 23:32:14 +0000
Pete,

There's a small plastic spool with wire wrapped around
it that forms the RF choke on the HF bands.   I'm pretty
sure it's also a "matching" coil since the reactance will
vary band-to-band.

If something happens to that coil or its connections,
it is potted in bee's wax that can be removed (melted out)
with a soldering gun (with a long homebrew tip on it) or
possible a heat gun if the temperature can be controlled.

I *think* I have more details about that "choke" if you
need to know....wire size, number of turns, etc.

I modified my 18AVT for portable use and I use it on
just about every Field Day....fits in a ~3-ft canvas bag
with coax, tripod stand, tools, etc.

73,
Charlie, N0TT