Re: [TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 08:47:41 -0500
On 3/22/2014 5:16 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

I think we sometimes spend too much time worrying about lightning safety, and not enough about power line safety. I've seen ham shacks with all kinds of transient suppression on the coax, and automatic grounding relays for coax, and all manner of stuff. But if there were to be a medium voltage to low voltage short on a neighborhood distribution transformer, the shack would essentially be destroyed. How much of your gear can take a 10-16kV overvoltage on the power cord? I've had first hand experience of the latter kind of overvoltage twice! with substantial damage to appliances and wiring in both cases. Once was an underground transformer with an internal fault, once was a wind induced failure of a MV feeder falling across the drop to the house. (I'm also lucky to live in southern California, where lightning is rare. Those of you in Orlando probably have a different take on things <grin>. )

Yep. Lived there 38 years and saw a lot of lightning damage. Every house on my block had damage at one time or another. A couple had holes blown in the roof. Antennas stood no chance at all if the grounding was poor. You guys in California live in a different world.

Even now living in an area (north Alabama) that generally has a lot less lightning, my little 70 (to top) tower takes a direct hit 2 to 3 time per year. The problem is that I live on a small barren hill and my tower is the tallest thing around for a long distance. Without good grounding, my house insurance would have been canceled in the first 2 or 3 months. I have yet to have any damage due to lightning, with many strikes.

What we really need in the area of lightning protection is education. On radio forums lightning protection is a very common question, usually more than one question per week. When you look at all the answers, about 90% of them are wrong. There are always "elmers" who are willing to recommend things when they don't have a clue as to what works. Most of them recommend whatever they have and they have had no problems since they have never had a strike. How is a noobe going to know what is right and what is wrong.

Even some of the better lightning books have serious errors. I have sat thru several hamfest forums on lightning protection and listened to the presenters quoting errors from those books as facts. A little education and common sense should have prevented this.

Even this forum isn't very good. The obsession about back-of-the-desk bus bar is something that makes little difference for lightning protection. When you are putting in large conductors at your desk to handle lightning currents, you have already lost the battle. Large lightning currents inside your house is a recipe for disaster. Proper grounding will keep all those high currents outside so you don't need big wires at the desk. If you want a redundant ground at your desk for personnel protection against AC faults that's OK, but it's going to do nothing for lightning protection.

Jerry, K4SAV