Re: [TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss

To: Tom Osborne <w7why@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Back of desk grounding buss
From: Jerry Gardner <jerryw6uv@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 12:55:53 -0700
"You are probably right, Jerry.  I wouldn't put any kind of ground in.
Probably just a bunch of old housewives tails from engineers who don't know
anything!!

You probably are right that it has no need.  Lightening doesn't happen here
all that often and when we do get lightening, it's not all that bad.   Just
a waste of money probably, huh??  Has never hit my antennas yet so why
worry.

Who the heck cares if your signal has a little hum on it.  Probably keep
the stations that try and get too close away with the noise.  It they can't
get rid of your noise, they need a better receiver.

I'm with you - heck with any kind of grounding - just a waste of time and
money :^)"

Ah, the 'ol wise-ass sarcastic approach. Nice.

I'm not advocating not grounding antennas/towers. All I'm saying is that
grounding belongs outside the shack, not inside it. My tower is grounded as
are the coax lines where they enter the house, along with the control
cables.

Inside the shack my equipment is safety grounded via the third line on the
AC cords to the rigs, power supplies, and accessories to grounded AC
outlets. All of those wing-nut grounding terminals on the back of all my
gear have nothing attached to them. I have no RF in my shack, nor do I have
any hum or other noise on my audio.

Hams seem to worry about in-shack grounding almost as much as they worry
about SWR, and neither is really warranted.

73, Jerry