Re: [TowerTalk] Wired Anemometer for Tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wired Anemometer for Tower?
From: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 14:04:12 -0700
I have a Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2 solar powered wireless system. It works flawlessly, even in the presence of kilowatt RF. It uses 2.4 GHz frequency-hopping and Davis claims 1500 foot range. I have two remote consoles, both reading the same data from the remote sensor unit atop my roof. It's a great weather monitor and I recommend it.

This unit has a tipping-bucket rain gauge, wind vane, anemometer, outside temperature and humidity sensors with fan-powered radiation shield; all is solar powered with rechargeable battery operation overnight. We actually had measurable rain last night, unusual for Los Angeles! How unusual? I've measured 4.02 inches since last July 1 when our "rain year" starts.

And, no, it's not under $300. You get what you pay for...

I used to have a wired Davis unit. Wireless is much more convenient!

Larry W6FUB