Re: [TowerTalk] Wired Anemometer for Tower?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wired Anemometer for Tower?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 22:07:14 -0700

Yes, I have the InSpeed Vortex cup-type (i.e., non-directional) anemometer mounted on the tip of my mast at the top of my tower. It uses a simple magnet to close a reed relay switch once per revolution (the calibration factor is 2.5 mph per revolution) and requires a pair of wires to get that pulse train to your shack. You can make use of those pulses in one of two ways (I have successfully done both):

1. Feed the pulses into an RS-232 connector that comes with the WindWare computer application that InSpeed also sells. The application can be set to log wind speed as an average value over various programmable intervals, as well as record peak values, etc. The logged data can be saved as a file in a format that is easily imported into EXCEL if you want to further analyze or plot it. The supplied RS-232 connector includes a wire pigtail that can be programmed by WindWare to trigger anytime the wind speed exceeds the value you choose. You can use that signal to control a relay that lowers your tower, or to set off an audible alarm for you to check the orientation of your antennas (or alert you to watch them thrash about).

2. Or you can feed the pulses to a common bicycle computer. With the appropriate fudge factor for "wheel diameter" you can get the bicycle computer to display current wind speed, and even the simplest bicycle computers will also record average speed, maximum speed, etc until you decide to manually clear the data.

Although I have no way to verify the claim, InSpeed says that the accuracy is +/- 4% of the reading from less than 5 mph to 150 mph.

I've had my Vortex anemometer for about eight years and it is still sending pulses just fine in spite of some truly heavy abuse that my windy QTH has given it. The basic Vortex anemometer runs about $55, the WindWare app runs $30, and a bicycle computer probably costs less than $40 (I haven't checked prices lately). It's a pretty inexpensive and robust way to go.

73,
Dave   AB7E