Re: [TowerTalk] Raunchy pictures yet again

To: Towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Raunchy pictures yet again
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 16:20:31 -0400
My two centavos,

As has been mentioned, the only way people have gotten these from
this list is after posting. Apparently this is a relatively new
experience and I only got mine (two of them) after I posted about
using Spambayes as a spam filter.

Since this is new and only happens after somebody posts, my thought
is someone new to the list was either a spammer or a web spider
designed to search for various forums to join into. When someone
posts, that email is received by all the members including the
newcomer who has probably never posted. When they get that post,
their software then sends out the photos of the pretty girls to that
address only.

If I'm correct on this then the first person who got emails from this
spamer got them just after that spamer signed up. So who was the
first to get the SPAM? If that person can be identified then it's a
pretty safe bet that working by the timeline for who joined up, you
can find the spammer. Especially if its someone who has not yet
posted to the list.

Maybe the list manager has access to this timeline data. The first IO
remember hearing of it was from Scott, N1CX who mentioned getting one
at:
Subject:        Re: [TowerTalk] Keeping antennas straight
Date sent:      Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:19:44 -0400

If someone got one before that and didn't mention it, that would help
narrow the time line to find the address the spammer used and cut
them off.

Gary,

KA1J

---