[TowerTalk] Relay Recommendations

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Relay Recommendations
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 18:17:09 -0700
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 01:03:58 -0400
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Relay Recommendations

On 5/9/2014 5:41 PM, Matt wrote:
> I would appreciate recommendations for general purpose SPDT relays that can
> be used reliably for RF antenna switching duty - it is not a hot switching
> application.  I am aware that the DC & 60hz AC ratings are not necessarily
> indicative of RF performance..  any experience out there?

How about isolation"?  Multi op, or more like SO2R.  Multi antennas at
QRO, or just a lot of remote switching?  The 6-Pack is for SO2R and just
runs open frame relays. For that kind of service  most open frame relays
will work, as in the MFJ and other remote antenna switches.  I have mine
set up to ground unused connectors.

73

Roger (K8RI)

##  The AS  six plack uses gold plated  plastic covered 3PDT relays..12 of em,
6 per side.
Since they have extra contacts, the isolation is through the roof..has to be for
SO2R  or 2 ops and 2 radios.   I have SN # 001  of the AS six pack.   You can
stuff 5 kw up through coax #1..and RX  just fine on coax #2.   The 3rd set of
contacts
on the six pack is a mech lockout.   You have 2  rotary switchs  to select
ants.  Whoever
grabs the say 20m 1st...locks out the 2nd switch.  IE:  there is no way u can
both select the
same ant.   The six pack is a 2 in and 6 out device..works slick.

Jim  VE7RF