Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing

To: K1TTT <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing
From: George Dubovsky <n4ua.va@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 13:30:33 -0400
Hi Dave,

The big difference IMO is that you *use* yours. The really damaged ones
I've seen - and they are the ones I inherited to make my modified ones -
are from something like a TH-6 mounted on a Ham M or similar and, most
importantly, parked in one direction for 9 months of the year (or longer).
The rotator allows a few degrees of freedom in rotation - the brake doesn't
hold  the mast perfectly still - and the wind just rocks the antenna back
and forth, back and forth, and the steel balls wear on the aluminum races
relentlessly, in the same place. Small divots develop in the races, divots
turn into pockets, and before long, it feels like you have 5 pounds of pea
gravel in there when you finally go to turn it... ;-)

It doesn't seem to affect TB-3s that are in more-or-less constant service,
although I've never done any tower work where the bearing was exposed to a
salt environment; others will have to comment on that.

73,

geo - n4ua