Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu GS-065 thrust bearing
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 20:53:45 -0400
On 6/2/2014 George Dubovsky wrote:

> The big difference IMO is that you *use* yours. The really damaged ones
> I've seen - and they are the ones I inherited to make my modified ones -
> are from something like a TH-6 mounted on a Ham M or similar and, most
> importantly, parked in one direction for 9 months of the year (or longer)

I  used  to  work in shock and vibration analysis (I ran a lab) one of
the  classic  stories  is  what  Ford found out RE shipping cars.  The
HARDEST  thing  on  wheel  bearings  turns  out to be shipping cars on
trucks/trains  etc.   The  shock/vibration on the roller bearings (and
holds  true for ball bearings too) that are stationary turns out to be
the  biggest  load  on  a  car wheel bearing, and it hold true for any
other  'normal'  use.   The  hardest thing on a rotor/trust bearing is
that  it  sits there, parked, with the vibration/shock of wind loading
pounding  the  balls into the race, and of course the same spot on the
balls and race.

IF  you go old school, this is where bronze and Babbit bearings shined
(there  is a reason con rods are still babbit).  Today, the answer for
a lot of applications is, guess what?  Engineering plastics...

--
Charlie
www.baysidephoto.com