[TowerTalk] Caribbean Station

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Caribbean Station
From: "Craig Clark" <jcclark@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 09:59:58 -0400
I have used temporary antennas from a number of countries in the Caribbean
and they worked pretty well with no issues. I even tried the verticals on
the beach from Cayman Is. For a decade I owned a station in Aruba with two
towers http://www.qrz.com/db/p40a and I quickly learned how damaging salt
spray can be. Steel towers and guy cables require regular painting in an
attempt to slow down corrosion. You will still lose the corrosion battle,
but at a slower pace if you paint it. Most of my antennas were homebrew,
built very heavy duty with 100% stainless steel hardware. Unfortunately in a
corrosive environment, the stainless steel destroys any aluminum it is in
contact with. Steel hardware quickly rusts away. If you intent to keep
something up for a few years or longer you will have some maintenance
issues.  I do not think there is any way around this. Quality Yagis hold up
fine with the constant wind for a while however I am not sure that a quad
would last long.  The good news is even a little antenna produces a big
signal from the Caribbean!

GL,
John KK9A - P40A

Adding to John's comments from my experience at V26, PJ2 and PJ4, between
sun, salt, and rain, maintenance of infrastructure is a never ending battle.

You might contact Geoff, W0CG, PJ2 or Noah, K2NG, PJ4 or John, W2GD, P40 who
all have extensive firsthand experience with keeping a Caribbean station up
and running in the ABC islands, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao.

As was mentioned, these islands are away from the normal path of Caribbean
hurricanes which adds a whole 'nother dynamic to keeping a Caribbean station
on the air.

Craig K1QX