Re: [TowerTalk] B & W Folded Dipole

To: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] B & W Folded Dipole
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 11:24:55 +0100
I doubt the B&W design is patented (or that the patent is in force)

Anyone can make and sell a terminated folded dipole

It's not inherently a bad design, although not popular for amateur radio, which
tends to put a premium on radiation efficiency, and which doesn't do fast
frequency changes and uses narrow band signals.  However, if you've got power
to burn, and don't want to fool with tuners, etc( e.g. You're doing ALE at an
embassy or NGO or doing millisecond frequency hopping) it works fairly well.

One can probably do as well with a 3 - 6 dB pad at the feed point of a standard
dipole of similar length.

73, Jim