Re: [TowerTalk] Polyphaser failure mode

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Polyphaser failure mode
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 19:07:02 +0000
it works by
> shorting the strike from the center conductor to the shell. But it stays
> shorted,

All that's inside a polyphaser is a series capacitor and a gas tube to ground.
At least for incidental (whatever they're called) strikes, doesn't the gas tube
just conduct for a few microseconds and go back to life as normal?  And able to
do this thousands of times?
If Pete had a larger strike, and the element sustained more damage I'd be very
interested in knowing what happened inside the little box to leave it in a
shorted or a low resistance mode.

A few years ago I made my own.  A bunch of SO239s on a panel with gas tubes to
ground (about $2 each) and a series cap, or 2 or 3 on the 160 meter antenna.
So far so good.

Rick  K2XT