Re: [TowerTalk] Polyphaser failure mode

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Polyphaser failure mode
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 16:34:30 -0400
Hi Rick - actually, the flashover was out at the base of the tower, and the Polyphaser is in the shack window. I've had a few of these before, and they generally leave a little soot-like material on the insulator, which I think is conductive to a degree. I suspect they start with failure of the tape job, leading to moisture infiltration. Because there had been lightning last night (no near misses or even visible cloud-to-ground), I wondered about the Polyphaser, before I started tracking sdown the failure

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.