Re: [TowerTalk] Mixing Rohn 20G and 25G

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mixing Rohn 20G and 25G
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 18:14:40 -0400
Here's the thing (well in my mind anyway). Just because Rohn's *vision* for 20G may have been 30', a house bracket and TV antenna, and for 25G it was guyed applications up to 190', doesn't mean that there is a world of difference in the capabilties, certainly nothing like those two visions seem to indicate. Yes 25G is somewhat stronger, but to state that 20G isn't even *suitable* for guying (in a ham application) because Rohn didn't envision it to be used that way is a distortion of the mechanics involved. In a legal sense an engineer would need to do the analysis because Rohn never did it, but in my backyard I'd bet that 20G can do 75% of what 25G can do, because I'm comparing apples to apples.

Except I swore off of the stuff decades ago because it's a pain to climb :-)

-Steve K8LX