Re: [TowerTalk] Recommendations for an electric foldover winch

To: "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Recommendations for an electric foldover winch
From: Ralph Bolt via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 10:23:52 -0700
Rick:

The motor shaft is 1/2 inch diameter.  You mistook the size of the keyway for
the shaft size.  The motor develops 1/9 HP which when geared down from it's
approximate motor speed of 1600 rpm to the 10 rpm out of the gearbox easily
develops the 500 inch-pounds of torque.  It's a very hefty motor and gearbox.
 Nominal current draw by the nameplate is 3.6 amps.  I put my clamp-on ammeter
on it while raising the tower and it drew just 3.0 amps.  So the motor is not
overtaxed.

Ralph, K0HML