Re: [TowerTalk] Recommendations for an electric foldover winch

To: Ralph Bolt <robolt@yahoo.com>, "TowerTalk@contesting.com" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Recommendations for an electric foldover winch
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 12:13:07 -0700
Thanks for clarifying that.  Even 500 in pounds isn't
enough for really hard to crank winches, like mine,
but using different size sprockets would allow you
to get a additional mechanical advantage of 2, 3, 4
or even 5.  What I learned with my KW3000 is that
if the crank is this hard to turn, you have overloaded
the winch and it will eventually fail.

Why not drive the crank directly instead of using
sprockets if the sprockets are 1:1?

Rick N6RK