[TowerTalk] Top Bearing Plate for 55G vs Rotor Plate (vs modified Beacon

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, <rthorne@rthorne.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Top Bearing Plate for 55G vs Rotor Plate (vs modified Beacon Plate_
From: "Kirby Hallenbeck" <1sailorman@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 07:19:01 -0700
Rich,

I don't think the Rotor plate is workable. The is a large opening in the
bottom of it, so bearing mount is not guaranteed and centering any
enlargement of that hole I more difficult. . As I recall it is thinner than
the Beacon Plate, and it is secured to the tower legs with C-clamps. So
keeping alignment true will be difficult. Note also the right angle part
that the c-clamps attach to are thinner and part of the flat section
structure, so not as strong.

The Beacon Plate works fine. Just make sure the pilot hole you drill is dead
center, then the hole bore will also be centered. I used a Milwaukee hole
saw. It res on top of the tower legs the same a another tower section, so
mechanically sound. You can see one corner, where the modified beacon plate
mates with tower leg on my QRZ page photo.

By all means, if you can find a Bearing plate used for a good price, use
that.

Kirby - AF6OP

>I'm working on getting the parts together for a Rohn 55g tower.

>The Rohn 55g Bearing plate sure is expensive.  I see two other
possibilities.
1 - Use the less expensive beacon plate and drill a hole for the
mast/bearing.
2 - Use a rotor plate for the same purpose.

>I plan on having a top bearing, an intermediate bearing then the rotor.
>I have no idea what the thickness of the Rohn bearing plate is as compared
to a beacon or rotor plate.  I'm hoping to put up a full size 4 element 40m
>beam some day, so the system will need to handle a good 300+lbs.

>I don't need the guy ears on the top plate as I'm going to leave the top
>10 feet unguyed.

>If any one has a Rohn bearing plate available let me know.  I thought I had
found one the other day but it didn't work out.