[TowerTalk] Beam Interactions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beam Interactions
From: "Don " <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 18:34:23 -0700
Wow, what a great site, every day I see some new idea or learn something new.

Until I moved from Portland to the OR coast, the beams I've had up have been single triband beams. In my present location,however, I installed a Hy-Gain HG70-HD tower, topped with an old TH7DX 10/15/20 tribander, and some 8 feet above it, a Cushcraft A3WS for 12/17. The mast is 20 feet and topped with a 16 foot Decibel 2M monopole. The tower and beams have withstood winds up to 80 MPH without damage, a velocity in gusts not uncommon during the winter. The tower is usually only up 2/3 of the OA possible height.

Setting that stage, I was following the discussion re 40 M beams with drool. Then I remembered I have an old KLM 7.2-1 rotatable dipole sitting in storage and thought why can't I incorporate that with the two beams. I had always hoped back 20 years ago to be able to find a second KLM and make a 2 el as KLM (then in CA) suggested and gave specs on in their manual. Didn't happen.

My current thought was to drop the A3WS down to maybe 3-4 feet above the TH7DX (minimal interaction) and mount the 40M rotatable dipole at the mast top, above the A3WS and below the 2M monopole. I'm willing to live with some degradation since at my age (78,) I'm not likely to be putting up more towers and antennas, regardless of how great the location is. The mind is willing, the body ain't. It is all I can do to just do the layover of the tower for antenna work.

So, the question - is the latter idea feasible? Does anyone have suggestions on a better arrangement?

Don W7WLL