Re: [TowerTalk] freight cost of tower part

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] freight cost of tower part
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:14:03 -0400
On 8/15/2014 8:00 AM, Ken wrote:

What part? Are you shipping it to your residence?  Assuming that
this is Fed-Ex freight, it is much less expensive to ship to a
business or pick it up at the terminal than to ship to your
residence.

Is there any additional terminal charge when you ship to a terminal?
Can you ship to any local terminal, or does it have to be a fed-ex
terminal?   There is a local truck terminal but of course they don't
cover where I would have something shipped from.

Freight companies (the common carrier ones like YRC, Dominion, etc.) like it when you tell them to hold the freight at the destination terminal, because that's where it's going anyway in order to be transferred to the local delivery vehicle, and it saves them the trouble of delivering it. You don't save any money (except compared to the residential delivery scenario). And they will charge a storage fee if not picked up in a reasonable amount of time.

Terminals are carrier specific, so the only choice in terminal is if the carrier has more than one in your area. This must be arranged at the time of shipment of course.

My small company often chooses the pick up route (even though we have a commercial shop with fork lifts) because it saves the hassle of manning the shop waiting around for a delivery that is usually far from punctual.

-Steve K8LX