Re: [TowerTalk] short survey

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] short survey
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 00:41:06 -0700
On Wed,8/27/2014 9:54 AM, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:
My wife wants to know how may of us are still climbing our own tower after age
68. If you don't any longer, please tell when you stopped. (Now I gave my age
away)

I'm 72, and have never been a great physical specimen. The last tower I climbed was in about 1973. It was 80 ft, something like Rohn 25, I was working for a small A/V contractor, it was the day before Turkey Day, we needed to finish the job to get paid, and the guy who did the climbing hurt himself in some way. I climbed the tower, about 80 ft, installed the UHF antenna that got the Bears from South Bend for the suburban bar that was our client. The best part of that was a sweet young thing who was a waitress in the club who had a thing for steelworkers, and I was close enough that we had a couple of fun evenings in the woods.

Between about 1985 and 2005, I climbed ladders into high stage lofts to inspect the sound systems I had designed and specified. I haven't been more than about 8 ft off the ground since then.

73, Jim K9YC (currently age 72)