Re: [TowerTalk] short survey

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] short survey
From: "Ray, W4BYG" <w4byg@att.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 10:46:56 -0400
I am reminded of a time when I was much younger and used a little "ham" ingenuity, which I may have to repeat this year at 76.

I had a 72 foot aluminum, hinged base, guyed tower to raise using a 15 foot guyed gin pole behind it. Not having the ability to control the guys by my self as it went up, I made everything ready and in place for a Saturday morning. That morning, I got on 2 meters and announced a "spur of the moment" barbeque for midday. By noon, I had 7 or 8 unsuspecting hams at the house looking for free meal.

I told them it was to be, but not quite free. An hour later using a heavy duty block and tackle along with my lawn tractor and my dinner guests, the tower was up and guyed down without a hitch. All enjoyed the sense of accomplishment, burgers and fellowship.

Got another QTH and the same tower to do again this year... Anyone for a barbeque?
73,
Ray, W4BYG

-- Ironic: The food stamp program, part of the Department of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever. Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Department of Agriculture, asks us to "please do not feed the animals" because the animals may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves... (Think about that).