Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: tower insulators

To: "<john@kk9a.com>" <john@kk9a.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: tower insulators
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 20:26:52 -0500
John,

I have no idea.  What I do know is there is not a lot of wind load on a 60 foot
tower with no antennas on it and that it would take a tremendous amount of
force to break a single four inch long 1-1/8 inch diameter solid fiberglass rod
in two pieces if held tightly on either end.

I'm not an engineer, but I assume in the case of three of those rods in the
three tower legs that one of them can't break without all three breaking and
would also assume those solid rods would be harder to break than it would be to
collapse the three thin walled steel tubes used in 25G legs.

I wonder what the side pressure is at the base of 60 feet of free standing 25G
in a 60 mph wind?

73...Stan, K5GO

Sent from my iPad