Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: tower insulators

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: tower insulators
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 03:12:00 -0400
On 9/3/2014 1:30 AM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
On 9/2/2014 8:58 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:

I forgot to say, we often use a synthetic cloth over the last lay up, called "Peel Ply". After the last lay up cures, you simply peel the cloth off and it's ready for the next layer.Also, wiping down a piece that didn't have peel ply used, with Acetone will make it a bit sticky and the next layer will adhere much better. IIRC that is explained in the text.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/G3_files/GIII_Diary.htm shows the use of peel ply and types of cloth and coarseness of the weave that can be used. Fine is good, but you reach a point where the cloth becomes too fragile to easily and completely remove. It also helps to "wick off" excess resin requiring less skill and waste.

This is much cheaper than purchasing cloth labeled "Peel Ply"!

73

Roger (K8RI)

Fiberglass "lay ups" come in a wide variety of strengths, or it is probably more accurate to say the strength of fiberglass components varies widely,

It depends on the density of the weave, the angle of the weave to the axis of the component. A dense weave with Vinyl-ester resin of a low viscosity like Dow Derakine (sp?). Multi layers with alternating weave at 45 degrees and linear is extremely strong. The cloth for each layer is saturated with resin, laid up, and then the excess resin is squeegeed out just to the point where the cloth is not dry. You can use a lot of cloth and resin learning how to make flat layups, and then complex shapes without wrinkles. That and this resin can have a mixed working life of 10 to 15 minutes. That doesn't give you much time to make individual layups.

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/G3_files/GIII_Diary.htm The 8th photo from the top shows making a complex shape out of a dense cloth on the 45 deg bias with no wrinkles.

60 feet is well beyond the rating for 25G with no antennas. However, the fiberglass is probably much stronger by several times than the 25G which gets its strength from the shape.

73,

Roger (K8RI)

Your fiberglass inserts were amazingly strong to hold up 60' of freestanding Rohn 25g! I would not try that using a standard base. Are there different
strengths of fiberglass material?

John KK9A