Re: [TowerTalk] G-2800DXA lightning damage

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] G-2800DXA lightning damage
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 14:06:34 -0400
One thing to remember is that you need a rotor control line lightning
protection box mounted to the tower "at the rotor", and also at the bottom
of the tower.
If you only put one at the bottom then the induced voltage on the line when
it arrives at the rotor can be a quite a different potential than the rotor.
This is for the protection of the rotor.
One at the bottom of the tower (the coldest spot on the tower), helps to
protect your equipment.

Jim - KR9U

> I'm using the Polyphasor models on the control line inside a steel box
that also has my SPG plate outside the shack.
>In addition, I wound the control cable at the top of the tower, just before
it connects to the rotator contact strip, and
>at the bottom of the tower into a four-turn solenoid using a piece of 2
inch PVC as a form.  You can see the bottom solenoid at
http://tinyurl.com/nshybh9 ,
> just below and to the left of the steel box.  If I had to do it over again
I'd wind double the number of turns to increase the inductance of each coil.