Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:34:15 -0700
On Fri,9/12/2014 3:19 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
Lightning does not want to go to your house, it wants to go to ground.
Why give it path into your house?

I agree, but there's a better way of looking at this. Lighting is an RF event, not a DC event. Most of the energy in lightning is between 100 kHz and 10 MHz, so the shield of the coax running between the tower and the shack looks like a big inductor to lightning. If we bond to a good low resistance, low inductance earth connection at the base of the tower, lightning will go there, not to the shack. The radials can help by providing capacitive coupling to earth.

73, Jim K9YC