Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 16:31:00 -0700

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:34:15 -0700, you wrote:

>I agree, but there's a better way of looking at this. Lighting is an RF
>event, not a DC event. Most of the energy in lightning is between 100
>kHz and 10 MHz, so the shield of the coax running between the tower and
>the shack looks like a big inductor to lightning. If we bond to a good
>low resistance, low inductance earth connection at the base of the
>tower, lightning will go there, not to the shack. The radials can help
>by providing capacitive coupling to earth.
>
>73, Jim K9YC

REPLY:

I agree with the above, but that's not what the original poster wrote.
He wanted to run a separate wire from the tower ground to the house
ground. I think that's a bad idea since it gives a lightning strike to
the tower another path into the house. Because earth is not a perfect
conductor, the entire house ground will be elevated above true "earth"
ground. Not good.

In my case, I have connectors installed in all coax and rotator cables
at the base of the tower and I disconnect them when lightning is
around. There is no path into the house, so why add one by running a
ground wire from the tower ground to the house ground?

73, Bill W6WRT