Re: [TowerTalk] Alternative Method of Tower Guying(Correction)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Alternative Method of Tower Guying(Correction)
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 20:36:02 -0400
On 9/24/2014 9:21 PM, W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:

Don't forget that those guying forces plus are transferred to the base of the tower (roof) when the tower is self supporting. A guyed tower spreads the force over a wide area and the forces add algebraically between the guys. All of that force is transferred to the base anchor with a self supporting tower, so the roof will need to be much stronger than for a guyed tower.

We've used mounts of roofs before, but under all that crushed rock was a membrane. Temporary towers were mounted on wide wood platforms. I'm not sure how the present UHF and digital systems are anchored.

73

Roger (K8RI)

You didn’t specify the wind loading of the DSTAR repeater antenna you intend to
put atop this tower, but I have three comments:

1.  Depending on the antenna wind load in combination with the zoning requirements and
wind speed category of your county, three sections of Rohn 45 _might_ be
self-supporting in this application — with no guy wires required.

2.  Instead of your system of a secondary “guy wire” to pull the “real” guy wire around the
offending obstruction, why not just move the guy anchor point inboard enough to clear the obstruction?  (The only reason I can
think of is that it’s a flat roof with no obvious or easy way of creating guy anchors except at the exterior walls.
But then I will ask how you intend to create a suitably strong guy anchor out there at the edges.)  The problem with the
system in your drawing is that it causes the upper part of the “difficult" guy wires to come off the top of the
tower at the same steep angle as they would if you simply located the guy anchors inboard.

3.  If your only source of guy anchor points is on the perimeter of the roof, and you
(or your PE) insist on guying the tower, consider attaching the guy wires lower on the
tower.  I’d be surprised if any available repeater antenna mounted 10 or 15
feet above the guy wire attachment point would stress Rohn 45.

Bottom line:  If it were my problem, I’d hire a professional engineer to determine
whether I needed any guy wires at all.  Assuming your DSTAR repeater antenna has a
substantially smaller wind load than, say, a 4-element 15-meter monobander, I’d put
all my effort into a secure, strong roof mount for the Rohn 45 sections, and make the whole
thing free-standing.  But to repeat, I have no idea how much wind loading your antenna
represents.

Bud, W2RU