Re: [TowerTalk] safety equipment for climbing (very long but worth readi

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] safety equipment for climbing (very long but worth reading)
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 11:20:52 -0500
Thanks for taking the time to share such a complete narrative of your good practice.

I am trying to design the install of 3 towers (one finished, one in progress and one waiting) so as to not require climbing higher than a 12 ft painter's ladder. Ditto my Hy-Gain Hy-Tower which now is rigged with a removable gin pole with winch to make raising/lowering an easy one man job.

Way back when in "the olden days" (early 80's) I did some free climbing and on the job had only a belt with two lanyards supplied. Really stupid on my employer's part and mine as well.

When ascending sailboat masts I used a bosun's chair (SOP in the sailing community) but stupidly used no other gear; harness or even belt. Also SOP in sailing community.

73
Patrick NJ5G