Re: [TowerTalk] how much rust is too much?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] how much rust is too much?
From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew@matthew.at>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 20:49:30 -0700
On 10/13/2014 8:28 PM, David Gilbert wrote:

Hhmmm ... going only by the photo, I can't believe that there's enough good steel left there to properly support that tower. The rust is bad enough to be crusty and flaking off, and if half the steel was left unsullied I'd be surprised. Again ... going only by the picture.

Where I've actually removed all the rust to bare metal, I haven't actually lost that much thickness it seems like. I'll take a caliper over tomorrow to see what the worst measurement I've uncovered so far is... and get an updated photo as well.

I'm sure there are ways to reinforce that bottom section, but if that's really a plate over a pier pin I'd have to wonder what's under the plate as well.

That's certainly a good question. One suggestion I've heard so far is to just embed the whole bottom in concrete, rendering the condition of the plate and the bottom foot of the section irrelevant.

Matthew