Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor Bolt Material

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anchor Bolt Material
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:34:15 -0700
On 10/14/14, 8:23 AM, K7LXC--- via TowerTalk wrote:
  Anchor bolt update:
Thanks for all the input everyone.  It looks like epoxy, or at least
commercial grade stuff dispensed with a  caulking gun is out as a potential
solution. It seems like the holes I made are  too big.
So now I am looking at anchoring cement and trying to talk to  industrial
contractors to see if there is another alternative.

         So how did you determine  that your new holes won't work for
putting in your anchor bolts? The epoxy is  stronger than the concrete so it
seems
to me that's it's a non-issue. Are you  over-thinking this?

LXC asks a good question..I would think that if the failure load of the epoxy is greater than concrete, and the contact area between the epoxy and concrete is greater, it should work. But you'd want to call someone who actually *knows*. Someone at the chemical anchor mfr probably has done tests on this kind of thing. People drilling the wrong size hole or in the wrong place is a real common reason for using chemical anchors in the first place.

The other thing is, can you rotate the base 60 or 45 degrees and drill new holes. Yeah, the existing holes do provide a weak spot in the block o'concrete, but maybe those could be filled with concrete (I don't know how well concrete bonds to concrete in these situations, but I'll bet there's a grout that works well. And it might be cheaper than the fairly expensive epoxy.