Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps
From: N3AE <n3ae@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 16:09:26 +0000 (UTC)
The question of tying grounds together seems to come up often. I started a
thread a few weeks back with a question on tower grounding which was hijacked
into a spirited discussion on ground-to-neutral connections in outbuilding load
panels.

Guess I'll know the "official" position shortly. Just called to schedule a
final inspection for my tower project only to learn I had to pull an electrical
permit too. Previously I was told I did not need electrical. Local officials
seem to make it up as it goes along. At my QTH however, only a Master
Electrician licensed in the county can pull an electrical permit, so it seems I
must now hire someone to ground my tower, deal with bonding, coax suppressors,
etc to requirements in Article 810 of the 2011 NEC. The challenge will be
finding a local licensed electrician who is familiar with these requirements as
most work around here is residential and small business/light industrial.

To jump into the current discussion, I believe I have to follow Figure 15 from
the link below. We can argue the physics like distance and voltage differential
due to propagation time, but at the end of the day it's just the inspector's
opinion that matters.

I'll provide a summary later of how it goes.

http://www.reeve.com/Documents/Articles%20Papers/AntennaSystemGroundingRequirements_Reeve.pdf

Shawn - N3AE