Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor cable / Steppir cable connectors

To: W3YY <w3yy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor cable / Steppir cable connectors
From: Big Don <bigdon39@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 20:26:46 -0800
FWIW, the quick disconnects available from Norm's Rotor have gold pins on
both halves.
Pricey, but don't expect any corrosion..

After nearly 40 years of  using the old Ham IV   8-screw   terminal strips
(never had a reliability problem)
we are now converting to Norm's disconnects. As geriatrics become an issue,
every extra minute on the tower hurts. Disconnecting and reconnecting the
8-wires can consume 15-30 finger-fumbling vision-impaired minutes ---
dealing with rusty screws and wires, slipping wire ends under those screws
that really don't unscrew far enough to make the job easy, keeping the
wires from oozing out from under the screws while tightening them,
re-stripping and forming the wire ends if any broke during the
disconnecting operation, finally making sure the connections are correct
and tight,

Maybe y'alll got a better way, but we always have done it with the rotor
laying precariously *LOOSE* on its side, on the rotor shelf,  in order to
get necessary easy access to the terminal strip,  Not something you want
especially if some wasps seize the opportunity to attack.. A Rohn 25 rotor
shelf is not very wide, makes a lousy workbench.  It is now a 10 second
operation with the rotor solidly bolted in place.....

73,  Don  N7EF