[TowerTalk] Indicator wiper issues

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Indicator wiper issues
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2014 07:46:15 -0700
N7EF wrote:

     The one direction pot failure we ever had, at autopsy, revealed the
rotator had been back and forth so many times
     that the brush riding on the resistance wire torus had completely worn
away.  What was left of it had sprung down
      so it was touching intermittently on inside diameter of the
resistance wire torus...it was not a corrosion.issue.

I have never had this happen to one of my rotators, however I have seen it happen repeatedly to a local ham - and he was rarely turning his rotator. The issue was an incredible amount of wind-induced vibration on his TH7DXX-topped HDBX48 free-standing tower. Even on calm days, you could feel it. I finally convinced him to stretch a piece of black dacron rope between the top of his tower and a tree to dampen the vibration.

73,
Steve, N2IC