Re: [TowerTalk] Best Balun

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Best Balun
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbert.schoenbohm@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:02:45 -0400

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions (many off line) for a better balun than my BN-86's. I just ordered from Force 12 (Chip K7JA) their bead balun model EB-1 as this is easier for me to install on the boom compared to the Comtek boxed unit which also looked very good with their specs..

On a related balun question...many years ago before beads were easily obtained some hams claimed that their solution was to run there coax though a piece of PVC tubing loaded full of steel wool and then sealed. Just curious if that idea ever had any real value to try or was this just an unsupported claim. Somebody must have run tests on this perhaps.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ