Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole gain?

To: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dipole gain?
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:59:48 +0000
Stan,

I was trying to highlight a particular issue - that averaging the dB figures themselves is a pretty meaningless exercise. In my example, the average rearward power ratio would be 12.6dB not 15dB.

I think it's more meaningful to specify worst case parameters, or better still best and worst across the band. We tend to do that in the case of SWR, so why not Gain and other parameters. Quoting an "average" SWR across a band would tell us nothing useful.

As an earlier poster pointed out, averages can give misleading results; for example, anyone reading this who has two legs has more than average ;)

Steve G3TXQ