[TowerTalk] Antenna Gain and Reality

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Gain and Reality
From: Roger <roger@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 19:48:30 -0500
There are several absolutes in antenna gain and many probably, might, maybe, could be attributes.

The two absolutes are the 2.1 db dipole to Isotropic source (I've been a ham since 61 and the books have always listed that figure) and gain measurements are only true for the test range where they were made. Hence even though the manufacturer may be honest and make an honest attempt at measuring gain figures in all axises, comparing one manufacturers antennas against another manufacturers antennas from advertized data only gives ball park figures and tells me little about how they will perform in my installation.

Doubling the number of antennas theoretically doubles the gain which is an additional 3 db for each doubling although it's unlikely due to losses in feeding and matching that this will be achieved. Losses in the coax m

Even with computer modeling of the installation, the inputs must be accurate and few if any know the ground characteristics near or far to any great precision.

The radiation pattern at vertical angles is a crap shoot. You are playing the percentages for atmospheric conditions that will match the maximum signal radiated will be at the most desirable angle to match those conditions. That's why the contesters have stacks that allow them to select the antenna height that lets them put the maximum signal into the desired range/distance.

As most of us have both budget and land constraints that limit us to the number, size, and height of our antenna(s) It's unlikely we can depend on equaling the performance in the advertized figures. Often for 40, 75, and 160, a simple wire antenna, or vertical will out perform all but the largest and/or sophisticated antenna or array.

I've had extremely good luck with sloping, center fed, half wave dipoles. compared to some stations running Yagi antennas at reasonable heights. Many times the first word in the response to my call, is "Wow". Yes, I do run QRO, but the best sounding signal out of the tetrode amp is at, or around the legal limit so there is little incentive for pushing beyond the legal limit and those tubes are expensive.

Roger (K8RI)

---