Re: [TowerTalk] Strange coax failure

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Strange coax failure
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 03:07:13 -0500

Warm?

I live in Mi, which isn't usually considered warm, but we get the occasional summer day over 100. I know that's shy of the temps "down South", but black jacketed coax can easily become too hot to handle. That and given, under some conditions the center tends to migrate in foam coax at so called normal temps, some thought should be used when installing foam coax.

"Any" and I emphasize the "any" position that causes side pressure on the center conductor should be avoided. IE: static turns approaching the repeatable bend radius, let alone smaller are "likely" to cause center conductor migration off center. Even worse are turns with weight on them. IE: A choke balun at the top of the tower with the vertical coax run hanging from the balun, or a few turns of coax tapped to the tower with the vertical run hanging from it. NOTE: The turns not only distribute the weight, they resist the linear migration

Another problem is linear migration of the center conductor on vertical runs, particularly when using N-type connectors. This leads to the necessity of using a contradictory approach.(A couple of turns taped to a tower leg every 25 or 50 feet) Use turns with a radius of at least twice the repeatable bend radius limit. This distributes the lateral load between a number of coils, reducing the lateral force on the center conductor. With the coax shield grounded at the top and bottom of the tower, the turns at the top and middle will not cause problems. Turns at the bottom will resist the linear migration.

73

Roger (K8RI)