Re: [TowerTalk] Smart Phone Compass

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Smart Phone Compass
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 12:56:49 -0800
On 12/23/14 12:37 PM, Wayne Kline wrote:
  OK  I do not want this to morph into the many proven ways to find TRUE north.

The compass extra on a I phone..... True north .... I assume it is via GPS
tribulation ??/

To follow up on the inherent accuracy or not of the iPhone, here's what the author of the Theodolite app says:

On the latest iOS devices under optimal conditions (clear line of sight to 4 sats), you can see GPS position accuracy as good as 10 feet and GPS altitude accuracy as good as 15 feet. Azimuth accuracy can be as good as 2-5 degrees under optimal conditions (minimal magnetic interference). All of these accuracies degrade as conditions degrade.

An exception is gyro/accelerometer accuracy, which is fairly steady at 0.1 deg under a range of conditions. So, any measurements or computations using elevation/horizon angles (such as rangefinging, targeting, surveying, observation, etc) can be quite accurate. Optical measurements in the app (rangefinder) are also quite accurate, and will be as good as the user’s ability to read the screen and interpret results.

Good enough for HF, probably not for moonbounce on UHF