Re: [TowerTalk] Smart Phone Compass

To: jbwolf@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Smart Phone Compass
From: Larry Loen <lwloen@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 11:32:31 -0700
FWIW, I've worked some with a compass function on my Android phones (two
different ones).

I am not all that impressed with the accuracy.  Its OK for getting things
roughly right, like within 5 or 10 degrees, but I'd want something better
for, say, calibrating a rotor.

The problem is, the phones are just too small.  It is too easy to make a
"parallax" mistake.

At the least, I'd want to use a larger tablet when trying to use it for
something this important.

Also, on Android, I've tried a couple of compass programs.  One appears to
use GPS, the other just the magnetometer.  The GPS one appears to me to be
much more accurate.  I don't know how any magnetic based phone compass
knows what the current offset from true north is.  Recall that in a lot of
places, the magnetic pole lines vary -- sometimes pretty substantially --
from north.  If one such is at your tower site, well, you're stuck unless
your compass software uses a GPS.

WO7R