Re: [TowerTalk] North using a handheld GPS

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] North using a handheld GPS
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 09:59:16 -0800
On 12/26/14 9:13 AM, RLVZ--- via TowerTalk wrote:
I apologize if this has been mentioned numerous times before, but a
Handheld GPS can be very useful for setting antennas to North.  For  example, a
relatively inexpensive Magellan Explorist 200 can be easily set to  "True
North" or "Magnetic North" and has WAAS accuracy of 3-meters.   Mine is set to
"True North" and I enjoy using it a lot more than a Magnetic  Compass.

The Explorist 610 and 710 have a 3 axis magnetometer in them (just like iPhones, etc.) and will have the same basic "within a few degrees" accuracy like any magnetic compass.

The huge advantage of the electronic compasses is that you don't have to hold them level, nor do they need compensation for dip.