Re: [TowerTalk] Work Platform

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Work Platform
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 15:26:46 -0500
On 1/5/2015 3:00 PM, K7LXC--- via TowerTalk wrote:

When I was climbing, I spent many a full afternoon "up there". It's different than typical maintenance. On multiple antenna installs The longest was 10 hours. I had the helpers send up lunch and took my breaks "up there" It's a lot easier to sit down "up there" rather than climb down and back up. Doing that uses more energy than the break rebuilds. Installing large rotators and removing them usually only took 15 to 20 minutes if all went well, but many a time Murphy was up there too and the work took far longer than anticipated. Changing a connector or two often revealed a lot unexpected of work. Yes, it often involved moving up and down, but after doing that kind of work, having a place to sit is kinda nice/handy.

As for work platforms, I generally preferred to stand on the cross braces and lean back against the harness. Standing on a small, flat, work platform gave me a lot of leg strain and resulted in putting more weight on the balls of my feet.

When you get to 100 feet plus, it's just easier to stay up there (saves a lot of energy particularly when you get older) but beware the climbing harness that lets you sit in it. A few minutes is fine, but some will restrict the blood circulation in your legs allowing the blood to pool with the possibility of clots, or Oxygen depleted blood.. Standing after long periods of sitting can cause light headedness or even passing out.

They are semi comfortable and you don't realize anything is out of the ordinary until you stand up. Like long flights across the Pacific. I know of more than one person who had clots form in their legs from sitting so long and after getting home the clots migrated to their lungs resulting in hospital stays, or worse.

 73 and be careful,

Roger (K8RI)

  what would a ham be doing on a tower where you could sit  or stand in
one place for hours??  I have been working on my towers for 30  years now and
don't think I have even been in one spot for more than 10-15  minutes at a
time.
QSL that. My experience with work platforms is that they're a PITA.
They're not usually where you want them and they're  almost always in the way.
And they're just another load to haul up a tower and  fart around with.
Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH

Roger (K8RI)