Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RF Ground is a Myth

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RF Ground is a Myth
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 17:45:04 -0800
On 1/21/15 1:01 PM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:

Whether the 3 tower leg anchors are sufficient?  I would hesitate to
say,  They are close enough to each other that they "probably" act
more like a single, large ground, or electrode than multiple units

73

Roger (K8RI)

I'm confused...    (still, yet, again...)

There are recommendations to place ground rods (8 footers) 8 ft apart in
a circle (octagon.) If my 14 ft apart Ufer grounds are too close
together so as to act as a single point, what about the 8 ft rods 8 ft
apart?

That wouldn't be a configuration I've seen recommended in any of the IEEE literature.

Distance between rods of twice the rod length is kind of a "go to" rule of thumb.

At that distance the resistance to "ground at infinite distance" is roughly half the resistance of a single rod.

One can (somewhat inaccurately) think of a rod as having a "sphere of influence" that is a hemisphere in the soil, with the radius = rod length.

(and yeah, that assumes uniform soil properties, which never happens, and identical rods driven identically, etc.)

So maybe driving them closer together accommodates some of the variability. Or the guy/gal who did that chose the distance for mechanical convenience.

As the phrase has it, this isn't "rocket science".. it's more in the 10-25% error category. As Jim noted, the soil resistance varies widely in most people's yards in a fairly short distance. And unless you live in somewhere like Sacramento, where the soil is basically uniform alluvial sediment for 10,000 feet down, there's big differences as you change depth.

There's an IEEE standard that has the effective resistance of multiple rods for just about any configuration you care to name. 1, 2,3, many rods, horizontal, vertical, straight line, angles.

As a result, folks choose a compromise solution that covers the vast majority of cases, and if it's critical, they do measurements to make sure.