Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Pulleys for antennas in trees

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband: Pulleys for antennas in trees
From: K7LXC--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 10:56:45 -0500
>  My wires are up 130 ft in redwoods, so they need pretty  robust rigging
hardware. Not everyone needs stuff this robust. :) Another  important
rigging element for any wire in a tree is a weight below a pulley
terminating one end of the antenna to provide some "give" for tree sway.
There are many ways to skin this cat, including old window weights and
cement in a bucket. I use big water jugs that I fill with dry sand. I'm
typically using 70-90 pounds of tension.

    Another point. Make the dipole halyard (haul rope)  a continuous loop.
Put a knot in the line and attach the antenna wire to it.  That way if the
wire breaks, you won't have to climb up to the top of the rope  to retrieve
it. In my experience it's almost always the wire that breaks - not  the
halyard.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH