Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Beverage Antenna
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 11:14:31 -0800
On Mon,2/2/2015 10:05 AM, Don wrote:
First, I'm surprised there does not seem to be any published measurements taken at a common test site of a Beverage at various heights and lengths (such as done with yagi's, and other antennas on test ranges).

Why do you assume that nothing like this exists? Beverages have been around for nearly a century, and it is quite likely that there's a lot of published work that you haven't looked for in scientific journals. It's also possible to model antennas like this and do your own study. There's a lot about Beverages (and other RX antennas) in the ON4UN book, and in the ARRL Antenna Book.

Email reflectors like this one should not be a substitute for pulling out the books and studying them. Many of us who post answers to questions like this have done that study, or done that modeling, or built those antennas, and are sharing what we've learned. As VE7RF has noted, optimum height is a function of wavelength. When a Beverage is higher than that, it doesn't stop working, like throwing a switch, it just becomes less effective. My 550 ft Beverages, a full wavelength on 160M, at an average height of 5-6 ft, are quite effective on 40M, and are still working on 20M! How do I know? I run diversity with my K3 using the TX dipole at 125 ft into the main RX and the Beverage into the second RX.

73, Jim K9YC