Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 20:51:47 -0800
On 2/3/15 8:20 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
On Tue,2/3/2015 8:05 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
TUV is another..

TUV is European, Germany, I think. I don't know if there's reciprocity
to North America.

They're on the OSHA list, all 5 or 6 of them

Roughly 30 years ago, my partner and I participated in an effort within
the community of sound system design consultants to get reciprocity
between CSA (Canadian) and UL (US) testing labs, as well as the
recognition of others like NRTL. It was a struggle, but we won.

CSA is on the OSHA list as well.

That was a big deal, because in those days, UL test labs could get VERY
expensive, thanks, in part, to some overzealous test engineers who
seemed to think that small manufacturers were made of money. The guys at
CSA were a lot more reasonable, so once reciprocity was granted, UL lost
of a lot of business.

Before we started, the situation was so bad that although NEC required
anything connected to the power line to UL Listed, almost no
professional products carried listing. Think JBL, Altec, Sony,
Panasonic, ElectroVoice, and a lot of smaller pro companies you've never
heard of. After 5 years or so, nearly everything we needed to build
systems WAS listed.

when PC's started to be sold, that was a big deal in LA county, because the vast majority of "white box" PCs didn't have any approvals, and were illegal to sell.