Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 13:18:49 -0800
On Tue,2/10/2015 12:14 PM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
3KW average power on 28Mhz and below. The PEP/CW rating is higher do to
less heating. This is well above the rating for RG-213 that I use for my
antenna lead.

There is dissipation in a ferrite core choke in the resistance coupled from the ferrite core. It is the coax shield that gets hot, not the ferrite (although the heat in the coax may be transferred to the ferrite material). This is in addition to the usual dissipation inside the coax associated with the differential transmitter power. The coax must be rated to handle both.

I've never used any of those special high temperature, small diameter coaxes, so I can't add anything more than that. :)

73, Jim K9YC