Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 11:02:00 -0600
That is why it is called a stepper motor. Its motion is stepwise, not continuous, think digital not analog. If the steps are small enough and are taken rapidly enough you can closely simulate the smooth turning of an analog motor. Of course an advantage of the stepper motor is you can keep track of where you are by counting the steps and not need a shaft encoder or other method of tracking position in a system driven by an analog motor. Stepping motors make position servos simpler.

Patrick   NJ5G