[TowerTalk] Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?
From: Tom Cox <tomcox@iquest.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 21:53:06 -0600
I keep seeing ads for self-supporting aluminum towers that are so light that one person can "walk up" a 40-footer with a hinged base. Of course, walking one DOWN might be more interesting, unless one has ropes, blocks, and a team. Can walking one up really be done, even with light, VHF-UHF verticals and/or TV antennas? It just seems a tower light enough to walk up can't be strong enough to STAY up.

I can't afford a motorized tilt-over or telescoping crank-up, unless it's used, and even then, it's unlikely, on my retirement income. All I want to tackle is 30 to 40 feet. Should I forget about a tower altogether, or buy a section of Rohn 25 a month, or... what?

73,
Tom, KT9OM,
NW Middle TN