Re: [TowerTalk] Water in Conduit...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Water in Conduit...
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 20:44:03 -0500
I agree with Jim and I'll add this again with a bit more detail:

I use 3" PVC conduit with NO drain holes and NO glue. Sll joints are greased with either DC4 or DC5 compound (Silicone Grease) with the pipe installed with linear compression. During much of the year, the basement is much warmer than outside, providing substantial convection air flow. The flow first enters a steel NEMA box on the outside wall. The Conduit leaving the box extends "up into the box about an inch." Most condensation takes place in that box. Any liquid in the box is trapped.

In the warmer months the flow is reversed with the temperature in the conduit and basement being much cooler than the outside temp. In spring and fall which are often quite humid there can be substantial air flow with the associated condensation. The air flow can easily be enough to blow out a lit match. However, the flow often reverses between day and night with the nightly outflow "usually" drying out the day's accumulation.

OTOH, as Jim said, even if the conduit is full of water there are those infamous words, "what difference does it make?" IOW, The big boys (commercial ops) pull through conduit full of water with little or no problem.

Pulling "LUBRICATED cable in or out of conduit makes a huge difference!" Look at the last photo on http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm to see a liberal application of wire pulling soap. It make pulling the "BUNDLE" in much easier and pulling only a single cable out much, much easier as the cables do not grip others in the bundle. It's like working with a bundle of cables covered with snot!

BTW that page also shows much of the evolution my feed system has gone through.

Get some help. One guy pulling with two lubing ( one holding and spreading the bundle while applying the wire pulling soap. The second squirting the soap into the first's hands) and another feeding the cables into the "soaper's" hands. With little practice the cable pulling operation is quick and easy. So is pulling a wire or two out. Do this with all wire bundles going through conduit, even AC wires through EMT indoors.

73

Roger (K8RI)