Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Fwd: Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk

To: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Fwd: Aluminum towers -- can you really "walk one up"?
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 07:07:08 -0700
nope, as you walk in, more of the weight of the tower is behind you. Another way to think about this is what size torque wrench would you need to raise the tower if it was attached to a hinge bolt? Ans: HUGE. A 300# 85' tower needs a torque (moment) of 300*42.5= 12,750 ft-lbs to move it just up from horizontal. Assuming the sections are uniform, we can use a mass one half the length, so with a tapered tower it will be less. Or you can weigh each section, and use the distance to eacg section center when assembled and add up the moments for a fairly accurate approximation of the initial raising moment.

Yes, the lifting load at the end is only 1/2 the weight (less for a tapered tower), but as you walk in the force needed increases. At 45 degrees a little geometry will show where you will be trying to hold the tower up. Then calculate the load - from the 12,750 ft-lbs of moment (actually not quite accurate since the changing geometry helps a bit).

A 16' 2x4 has very poor buckling strength, perhaps a recipe for disaster.

A walking or fixed derrick is the way to go.

Grant KZ1W